Children's use of information technology needs to be made safer.
Children are exposed to harms from unsafe use of information technology. They need to be protected from such harms. We all have the responsibilities to protect them and need to work together.
UNSAFE USE OF TECHNOLOGY MAKES CHILDREN VULNERABLE
Children's use of Internet, including use of social media has increased tremendously globally. While children have easy access to information, entertainment and contacts with known/unknown people, they are also becoming vulnerable to cyber bullying, sexual abuse and other forms of harms in the cyberspace and the real world. As the responsible parents and duty bearers, we need to protect children.
CHILDREN'S SAFETY FIRST
Parents, guardians, teachers and those working with children need to be aware that children's use of technology need to be made safer. Children should be protected from cyber crimes, which include, but is not limited to cyber bullying, sexual abuse and their exposure to pornography.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
You can help to make children's use of technolody safer by joining ChildSafeNet activities, understanding children's vulnerabilities, guiding children to understand potential harms, regulating and monitoring children's use of technology, such as, use of internet, gaming, social media activities, etc.
RESEARCH AND SURVEYS
ChildSafeNet is conducting a research with children in Nepal on their online habit and potential risks.
ChildSafeNet is planning to conduct awareness raising activities with children, parents, teachers, police, lawyers and media. A core group of peer trainers and advocates will also be created to scale up awareness raising activities.
ChildSafeNet works in partnership with children, youth, parents, teachers, police, lawyers, I/NGOs, UN agencies, media and private sector.
WHO WE ARE?
We are a group of people working to make technology safer for children.
We work with children, parents, teachers, care-givers, police, lawyers, I/NGOs, UN agencies, media, private sector and ISPs to make information technology safer for children. Together, we can and we will make it happen through
- Raising awareness on protecting children from the use of information technology
- Advocating to keep children away from harmful sites / apps / games
- Enhancing law enforcement
HOW CHILDREN ARE HARMED ONLINE
Through unsafe use of technology, children are exposed to a serious harms in the cyberspace and in the real world. Such harms affect children's mental and cognitive development, humiliate and lowers their self-esteem.
ADVOCACY, AWARENESS, CAPACITY BUILDING & PARTNERSHIP
We are working to develop a knowledgebase on children's exposure to the harms of the unsafe use of technnology in Nepal. Our strategy includes:
- Advocate with the duty-bearers on making children's use of technology safer
- Raise social awareness of parents, teachers, children's care-givers, children, youth, social workers, police, lawyers, ISPs and media
- Train groups of peer educators to reach more children
- Partner with schools, child/youth clubs, parents' associations, teachers, ISPs, media, I/NGOs, UN agencies and other likeminded individuals and organizations
Together, we can and will make a change to protect children, including in the cyberspace.
THE RIGHT APPROACH
Partnership, synergy and sharing of technical and financial resource for protection of children, making their use of technology safer.
Since the use and misuse of technology are new phenomena, it is important work innovatively to make the technology beneficial to children and to protect them from the potential harms.
In order to scale up the programmes in the major cities of Nepal, ChildSafeNet needs volunteers for social research, awarenesss raising, managing social media, website management, translation, graphic design and partnership development.
- Volunteers will have good learning opportunities and using their knowledge and skills
- Preference will be given to college graduates or bachelors level students
- Volunteers' job descriptions will be posted shortly